Some people interested in a possible expatriation in Oman asked me what is the cost of living here in Oman. So it gives something like this, based on a month of living for a couple :
- Food shopping : between 100 and 250 Ryals per month (for my wife and me it is 200 Ryals).
- Petrol : around 20 Ryals if you use your car about 45min each day. you can see how petrol is cheap here
- Phone : 5 Ryals for a prepaid card (but I don't phone a lot).
- Car renting : 150 Ryals per month for a basic car, like a Mitsubishi lancer.
- Renting of accommodation : variable depending on the location, but expect at least 350 Ryals per month for a apartment.
And optionally you could add :
- Alcohol : 20 Ryals, for a pack 22 beers (~11Ryals) and 2 bottles of wines (~9Ryals).
- Cinema : 10 Ryals if you're going 2 times to the cinema during the month.
- Intercontinental club : 66 Ryals per month (6 months membership for a couple is 400 Ryals)
- Arab lesson : 30 Ryals, you can learn Arabic at the CFO (45 Ryals per person for a 3 months session)
- Restaurants & Pubs : 100 Ryals
- various shopping : 60 Ryals
- 4x4 renting : let's say you will rent a 4x4 at least once a month to make some tourism : 40 Ryals